Only those athletes who qualify according to below eligible for selection in the Team:
- Be a citizen of Australia
- Have a valid Passport (passports need to have at least 6 months before the expiry date to be allowed to travel)
- Either have their normal place of residence (defined as being a place where an athlete is resident and/or educated) in an “athletically remote area” of Australia (defined as a being a place more than 300km from any major city at which track and field competition is held on a regular basis i.e. basically weekly or fortnightly during the track season) or “Northern Australia” (defined as comprising the Northern Territory, parts of Western Australia and North Queensland, north of 26th parallel south latitude).
- Be a registered member of Athletics Australia through an affiliated club
- Remain in ‘good standing’ with Athletics Australia and at all times comply with Athletics Australia Code of Conduct and otherwise conduct themselves in a way that does not bring their sport or the national team into disrepute.
- Perform a qualifying performance between the 24 September 2016 - Tuesday 4th April, 2017
In addition to the above, athletes that are competing in the U18 age group must be born 2000/01